Hello,

When you react to people as a homogenous whole rather than individuals, yes, you have crossed the
line.

and then there is the issue of cultural gestalts. Granted not every Roman was a soldier, but can you not speak of roman culture as a whole as being somewhat militaristic? I make the mistake of not being clear enough about things like this. I don't think every white person is evil, but I think that culturally, on a whole, certain characteristics do emerge. Why did global colonialism rise out of mesopotamia, and come to ultimate fruition in Greece, then Rome, then Europe, and then the US. I think you put 5 different ethnicities together in a room they are going to get along on a personal human level, but on a larger level, on the scale of a culture that might be a different story. It might be an issue of class rule or whatever but I think patterns do emerge.

You assume that the artists you revere had a disenfranchised ghetto upbringing because they were black. In actuality you know very little of what their lives were really like. These stereotypes
you profess to hate are as active in you as in anybody.

I think you did not bother to read my post. Check the part where I talked about Detroit Techno not catching on in the US because of its middle class nature. Such as Juan was east side, but was sent to Belleville to stay out of trouble, or Carl Craig's mom buying him his first synth, a Prophet600. I don't think that having black skin is some magical talisman that equals instant funk. I do think that perhaps being a part of african-american culture and having certain experiences
might change the direction of your artistic output.

Black life in America is too huge to put into one little ghetto box. I don't assume that a person is this way or that because of the color of their skin. I make the mistake that people already know that I realize that there is a difference between wholes and individuals. As usual, a lot of people miss those because I am more brash and abrasive than I probably should be.

when I say that White people are this way or that, I am looking more at larger cultural patterns, and conscious participation in certain social structures. Look at the English or American Empires, not every Englishman raped and pillaged Africa and India, but most at least indirectly benefited and participated in that conquest. I think if you put English and Indian people in a room they will get along as individuals, but if you extrapolate that to an entire culture, differences and characteristics arise.

I think if you go to a certain black or white or mixed neighborhood obviously nobody is exactly alike. However, if you look for similarities at a larger level, cultural patterns in each group will arise.

Your sense of history is equally biased, only in a different direction. Southern plantation owners were by no means the first to own slaves, nor were white Europeans. You're simply wrong on that
count.

oh absolutely not, African's themselves owned slaves during the time of the African Diaspora. Slavery has existed in one form or another since the dawn of the agrarian age.

Your desire to blame people for the atrocities of specific groups on their skin color, to lump all white people together as being guilty of crimes committed by individuals is every bit as racist as
the criminals themselves.

Where they really crimes committed as individuals? If one African was kidnapped and enslaved, that is an individual crime. When a whole infrastructure is established and an entire broad cultural economic model is sustained by by a crime, I think the guilt transcends the action of the individual.

Is it racist to say that whole groups of people are responsible for an outcome because of the individuals action or lack there of when you can point to larger historical activity? I think it is racist if you cannot see the group for the individual. My mistake was not making clear that all my statements(at least in my mind) include the Some But Not All rule. I make sweeping statements, but trust me, I am aware that not everybody fits the stereotype. I don't think every English person for the last 500 years was totally evil, but you cannot forget that as a larger cultural whole what the English did in China, in India, in Africa, and in America...

Is it racist to say that English Culture on a whole did some seriously evil things on a scale never previously seen in history? No, it is not racist, it is a fact. It was not just an isolated incident, it took an entire nation's effort to create events that made that much of a stir in history. It took an entire culture to pull something off that big.

Consider that you are perpetuating these stereotypes in your efforts to
combat them. Consider that music belongs to nobody, but rather is a gift, from God or whatever you
choose to attribute it to.

that sounds really good on paper, but lets be real. I think a more accurate statement would be: "music has distinct and separate characteristics among different cultures and those distinctions do in fact belong to each particular culture."

The blurring of distinct cultural boundaries in the west arose in the 16th century when travel and economics started to force separate cultures to come together and create cultural hybrids. This lead to the combination of western folksong and african rhythm to create forms like negro spirituals and primitive blues, african rhythm, european classical music, and american popular song formed into jazz... and this trend accelerated at the end of the 19th Century when audio capture technology became a commercial reality."

Objectively, certain roots of our music belong to different cultures. Polyrhythmic is about as african as it gets, standard pop/folk song structure is a western folk thing, standard 12 tone tunings and music theory are western...

We all have souls, regardless of color, and we are all capable of expressing it through any means we choose. I am white. I can write techno music. To claim this is impossible because of my
ancestry is bigotry.

the one thing I am curious about is when did I ever say that white people cannot write music? I will say the vast majority of white musical genres are shite(uh, glam rock, rap-rock, john tesh) but it is not impossible for white people to make good music.

It seems fairly obvious to me that not all blacks can dance and there are some smooth white guys. The are black guys who have no rythm, and there are white guys who never leave the pocket. To me, it is so obvious that it goes without stating.

But if you look at larger patterns and groups of people do you notice a difference? If you go to a deep urban house night with KDJ and Mike Clark vs a candy rave with dj joeblow, is there a difference? Is it racist to assert that in larger groups patterns emerge, and they have discernable differences?

I have actually lived in predominantly black urban ghettos, and you can bet that at least a few black techno artists haven't. This has absolutely nothing to do with our ability to write music.

uhh, when did I ever say that techno is ghetto music? See above, and see my last post... re black middle classness...additionally see313archives: music institute as last stand of black boho intelligencia...alan oldham ranting about this ad nauseam in 98...Derrick May being more Warhol and less Chuck D.

don't need anyone to tell me what I can or can't do, I do not need anyone's permission to express
myself.

um, way to go.

Although I agree with many of your statements the conclusions you draw seem very ignorant
to me.

And I think you read a lot of things into what I was saying that I did not intend/were not there.

anyway, I think I have explained my point of view as well as I feel I need to. If you don't like what I have to say that is fine and dandy. I generally find that people who know me in person realize that my broad statements are irreverant and funny, and people that know me from the list think I am a angry 40 year old.

To bring this thread full circle, no, I don't believe that the white race is single-handedly responsible for wrecking disco. There were a multitude of factors that caused disco's creative decline. Was a mainstream white audience part of the problem? did it spread dj talent too thin? did it water down the concept, and make the music formulaic? Did it wreck distribution channels and flood a market?

Nah, it was just goddamn whitey.

rlt'ly yrs,
mt