- you get dull-tech-house nights, you get micro-house nights, you get body&soul
nights, you get looped-bangers nights, you get detroit-techno nights... You
don't often get plain old good nights out"

Probably due to the size of the place.
I mean how likely is it you'll end up at any night which doesn't spell out it's music policy in advance. And by that I don't mean "would you go to it?", but rather, "would you find out about it in a city this size?".

It's pretty hard -usually takes some damned clever flyer design- to get across a particular ethic without spelling out the playlist (i.e. tech-house, body and soul -whatever) and hence sticking to a particular genre, and with the competition being so stiff in London it's hard for anything small and interesting to get past those first few nights.

I suppose the exceptions to this are the few people who have the clout / credibility to draw a crowd without sticking to one particular style (probably Andy Weatherall - again, or Warp's nights). but there aren't many...

That said, I can't recommend the Rotter's Golf Club enough

-s