----- Original Message -----
From: "Max Duley / ARCart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <313@hyperreal.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 7:45 AM
Subject: RE: [313] Fade in techno

> So going back to the title of the post, what is techno to you? Is it a kit
> to be put together like something from IKEA, all the bits made the same so
> they fit..........neatly...........together?
> or what?

'Neat' is what piques the interest.  It's the initial carrot that draws
people in.

> Is criticising a techno artist for fading in a track (or adding an
unusually
> structured section, or sticking an extra beat/bar in somewhere) not
slightly
> barbaric?

I suspect that people would take more notice of the artistic value of a
fade-in techno track if it were included side-by-side with an identical,
non-fade-in version of the same track.  When the only version of a track is
a fade-in version, it's almost like the artist PURPOSE-fully goes out of
their way to antagonize the most blatantly obvious portion of their target
audience--the DJs, most of whom enjoy the structured interplay of matching
kicks and snares.

This is somewhat discourteous on the artist's part, unless the only people
you want as fans are people so die-hard that they'll take any shit you throw
at them and suck it back grinning with glee.  My j'accuse is pointed
straight at Mills' If.  I mean, I don't need much, and this is really just
nit-picking, but a quiet snare, hi-hat, or even a muted kick right at the
very beginning (even a good 30 seconds before the rest of the track actually
becomes audible) is a little thing that goes a long way when I have less
than 45 seconds left to mix and I have several tracks to choose from.  Sure,
it might sound like I'm creating a brand new "kunt-sept"-ual way of mixing
or something.  Then again, it might sound like I'm a fool.  In a pinch, I'll
pick a less discourteous track.  But that's just me.   :)

> I mean, is techno not supposed to challenge conventional art
> forms? Indeed, is techno not art?

Well, as soon as we broaden this discussion to art and the boundaries art is
supposed to cross, this discussion gets in over its own head.  Last night,
on CBC.ca's late-night Brave New Waves, I heard a CD-R from Japan called The
Original Instrument.  It was certainly novel--it used samples of voices as
percussion and as melody--but the execution was so leftfield as to be
alienating to my already captive and intrigued ears.  They had me at
'hello'!  At first, I listened out of sheer principle, but eventually it got
too annoying even for me.  I had to turn it off and put in a Meek CD to
clear the air.

Sure, there's artistic value to the fact that smoke and fog combine into
smog.  Sometimes, I even think the orange horizon is a mighty-splendored
thing.  But it's still just smog.

> Would you refuse to look at a great
> painting if you didn't like one particular brushstroke, just because it
> challenges the way you need to interact with it?

Depends on my expectations of it.  Sometimes, if that one particular
brushstroke is all that is needed to restore calm and peace in our
minds--two arguably desirable states of being.

> Or would you take the
> challenge and learn to adapt to new or more complex situations because it
> can take you and your audience to another level on the techno experience?"

I already know I have an open mind.  Telling me otherwise (or otherwise
insulting me) may be good art, but it's not effective art.  Doodles are
doodles.  Work with me here, Mr. Mills.   :)

> After all, we are only talking about cueing up to a kick drum aren't we?
It's
> not that much of a challenge!!

No, it's not, and I could technically wait until the track is audible to
find my cue-point.  But if the artist simply skipped the fade in, took the
2.5 minute actually-audible portion of the track and made THAT the track,
well, then I'm still forced to choose between it and another, _slightly_
more "conventional" techno track.  I'll choose the latter.

Even the unconventional needs the framework of the conventional to base
itself upon.  Otherwise, it's just an "un", just like Cage's silent piano
piece, however valid a form of expression that may be.  Tree in the forest
and all that.  The question here is who is the intended audience, and
whether they number more than 10.

But that's just me.  I am no.ONE.

Martin
www.lunatechmusic.com