Colonial mentality still exists here, but has been amplified incredibly by the literacy problem which gives even the dullest wit from England a gross advantage.

It's amazing how they think they know more about our country and our country's music than we do, because they've read it in a book (?) I've seen it countless times. Throw in a suave James Bond accent and a (very) wee bit of charm and their group is the next multi-platinum, multi-million dance music genius.

Had this dis-cussion with the Prodigy's manager who had the nerve to insult both Detroit and Chicago artists for not getting their major label deal groove on, as if to say...that they weren't intelligent enough to parlay a deal. Ahem, it was a wrong move on his part...

That has been put to me before, but never so cheekily. Not to fear though, I took him down a notch and made him buy the next round. But the point is.....where unchallenged, opinions like my man's are taken as gospel and deep throated by most in the American msuic industry...hence every two-step and drum n' bass track that has been licensed from the NBA to HBO and a million other national broadcast entities and advertisers.

From: Dan Sicko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "laura gavoor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, 313@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: [313] The Great White Hype...was IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 22:09:56 -0800

Speaking to the "Why S&D and not Juan?" issue directly, I'd just like
to offer up the strange infatuation the US media holds for UK pop
culture exports (I know this term is a bit of the large blanket
variety) ...

I think often times a "movement" seems that much more legitimate to
the US (and I mean the lowest common denominator US) when it comes
back to us through a UK prism.

Inferiority complex?  Just another obstacle to overcome?

-d