Speaking to the "Why S&D and not Juan?" issue directly, I'd just like to offer up the strange infatuation the US media holds for UK pop culture exports (I know this term is a bit of the large blanket variety) ...

I think often times a "movement" seems that much more legitimate to the US (and I mean the lowest common denominator US) when it comes back to us through a UK prism.

Inferiority complex?  Just another obstacle to overcome?

-d