i discovered bob brown while i was living in philly...he's just excellent both
in technical skill and personality...a friend just sent me this article that
came out in urb about him last month...if you ever, ever get a chance to catch
him live i would do so.....

                              -kathleen

                              VINYLADDICTS

                              Bob Brown

                              AGE: 25
                              HOME BASE: Philadelphia, PA
                              STYLE: Techno with soul
                              DJING HOW LONG: Almost 10 years
                              EQUIPTMENT: Three Technics 1200s, three Electrix
EQ killers and a Rane 2016 Rotary mixer. For production, I do it all on my
Apple Powerbook and my Yamaha NS-10Ms. FIRST PARTY DJED: Something I put
together at a teen club called Fascinations in my hometown of Medina, OH. It
was in 1992 when I was 16. This club was normally all commercial, but I talked
to the owner and he let me play on a Friday. All 15 of my friends showed up. I
finished with The Smiths' "Panic." INFLUENCES: My earliest influences were
industrial guys like Alien Sex Fiend and Front 242. Then I heard 808 State's
"Cubik" -- still aggressive, but more user-friendly.Then I went through a
two-year phase where all I listened to was techno. Then I stated listening to
hip-hop, old house and acid house and experimental noise like Zoviet France.
                              FAVORITE MUSICAL ARTIST: Prince
                              ONE RECORD THAT NEVER LEAVES HIS BOX: Richard
Bartz' "Subway" on Kanzlerampt
                              ON STARTING PHILLY'S FAMED FLIGHT TECHNO PARTIES:
We found a concert hall that was willing to do a midnight-to-6 a.m. party. We
had phenomenal talent: Theresidents included myself, Mace (a 10 year veteran of
the decks), Mr. Kleen from Satellite and this local jack-of-all trades,
Alexander/Adrock. Add guests like DJ Skull Hyperactive, Adam X and Dave Clarke,
and you have what was the best techno talent in this country and abroad every
week on a consistent basis.
                              ON THE PHILLY TECHNO SCENE: During the days of
Flight, Philly was on the forefront as far as techno parties. We were the first
to bring a lot of acts to the East Coast, like Chris Sattinger and Regis. Soon
enough, things changed, and now I am still bringing talent out, but the parties
now are for 100 instead of 2,000. Once Philadelphia started enforcing its laws
about clubs not staying open past 2 a.m., the scene has had to either go
underground or use commercial venues and close at 2a.m.
                              DREAM GIG: A bunch of screaming, dancing maniacs
who beg for each record and thank me after the set when I've just played all
the songs I wanted to hear. I love those dreams!
                              SECRET TO A GOOD MIXTAPE: Forget about what a
mix-tape is "supposed" to sound like and just let it rip.
                              CAREER HIGHLIGHT: A close tie: the time I was in
Glasgow, [Scotland,] for my first gig and stumbled upon huge posters with my
name on them all around the city, or when I played in Albufeira, Portugal at
Locomia [www.locomiaclub.com] until the sun started to rise over the private
beach.
                              CONTACT: www.frameworkmusic.com

                              All-Time Five:
                              FIERCE RULING DIVA/Atomic Slide (Lower East)
                              RICHARD BARTZ/Subway {Kanzlerampt)
                              MESCALINIUM UNITED/We Have Arrived (Aphex)
                              INNER CITY/Good Life (KMS)
                              CARI LEKEBUSCH/Precious Moments (DJUPT)

                              Current Chart:
                              BOB BROWN/FW011 (Framework)
                              SI BEGG/Welcome s)
                              MICHAEL FORSHAW/Chan05 (Chan N Mike's)
                   SUBHEAD/Tre178sor)
                              ERASE/Jack Your Body (Erase Music)
                              DAVE TARRIDA/NH09 (Neue Heimat) Silicon Sampler
                              (Resource) PACOU/Recent (Konsequent)
                              THE APHORISM/Detangle EP (Mutter)
                              DAMON VALLERO/Deviate EP (Electracom)