MP3s do cause sound quality deterioration. The way an MP3 compresses a sound file is by eliminating certain frequencies and imitating those frequencies using harmonics. MP3 compression is a "lossy" compression format which means that it compresses by eliminating information.

If you take a CD, save it as an MP3 and re-burn that to CD you WILL notice a significant difference in sound quality. This depends on the bit rate at which you encode the MP3s... Lower rates will result in smaller, lower quality files.

WAVs or AIFF do not have any sound quality loss but the files are much bigger as they don't use much compression, if they use any compression at all.

Hope this helps.