From: LR2 [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2002 10:27 AM
To: 'Tom Robbins/Magic Feet'; '313 mailing list'
Subject: [313] Question: Final Scratch

After reading of Kevin Saunderson's conversion, it reminded me that I've
had a question about this technology.

I've always heard that one of the appeals of vinyl (for audiophiles in
particular) is the frequency response range; especially in the low end.
It's what purists have complained is missing in CDs for years.

Does any one have a technical perspective on the audio quality of MP3 vs
vinyl?  I understand that MP3 is a compressed format and am curious if
that compression would noticeably affect the sound, especially in a
large club-like setting.

For my needs, MP3 is fine as I listen to it on computer speakers, or rip
it and listen to it in my car stereo...I'm not really concerned about
superior audio quality in those settings as I don't have the greatest
gear to reproduce it faithfully.  But, in these mega-clubs and parties
where the gear can be of the highest caliber, do you reckon 160 kbps (as
Kevin mentioned) will cut it?

I'm not trying to start a debate, I'm simply curious for input from
those who might have a deeper understanding.

Thanks!

Leslie Rollins