I demoed Final Scratch at a local shop (Platinum in Portland, one of six
retail dealers in the US, it's just three blocks from me) and thought the
quality was really quite good.

As some might remember, I was skeptical of Tosh's contention that FS is
the future of DJing.  I'm still skeptical about that, but I do think it's
a valuable addition.  It would be very surprising to see even 20% of all
DJs using it within, say, five years.  That doesn't undermine the
importance I think it will have.

As a system, I'd say FS is a clever hack, a kluge, whatever you want to
call it.  In engineering terms, that is fairly high praise :)  I view it
as sort of a bridging or transitional technology, and the driving factors
are the desirability of some life extension for turntable-based mixing
and the high cost (both in dollars and weight and risk of loss or theft)
of carrying around vinyl records.

FS will help keep the fun in DJing by making it easier to have a wider
selection readily available when you're playing out, by providing some
new moves for the technical or tricks DJ, and maybe by helping bring
good old tunes back in the mix and start putting some pressure in the
market to improve the absolute flood of mediocre tracks out there now by
showing how it *should* be done.

What I mean is, it's going to have the side effect of getting people
motivated to rip their really good old tracks, not just the famous ones
that you could download from Napster in the day.  This is incredibly
important in preserving the first couple eras of house and techno, since
the records are mostly sitting in boxes and DJ record bins and not hardly
ever found in the stores.  Given that the average run of a non-charting
12-inch dance single has always been 1000 or less, often much less, this
is a big benefit as far as I'm concerned.

For me, it solves a long-standing nagging dilemma.  I bought a Denon
dual-CD unit in 1994, pretty much lost interest in it right away and
sold it within a year.  Mixing off CDs is like driving blind, unless you
know the records really well.  And I'm not the kind of DJ who wants to
play the same 30 tracks every time...!

It's true that CD mixing technology has really come a long way, and there
are some really good CD consoles now of course including the Pioneers.
But the visual and electromechanical elements of turntable mixing can't
be substituted.  It's not that one is better than the other, it's that
they are suited for really different purposes.

What is *really* happening is that MP3 (with all its sundry technical
and licensing shortcomings) is the great bridge between analog and digital
recordings, and now there are devices oriented toward *both* sides of
that divide that let you use your preferred method without giving up
half your musical catalog, your favorite playback equipment and of course
your astonishing DJ artistry ... !

phred