It was a pretty jam-packed weekend.  A fairly large west coast
posse showed up this year and while my attempt to get them
into the full range of what was on offer in Detroit wasn't
entirely successful, it was certainly a good time.  Now I'm
back in Portland nursing the leftover of a cold (aggravated to
no small measure by the out of control cigarette smoke in a
lot of the venues and the festival itself -- I thought I would
gag at the Planet E party and at the State Theatre).  But
enough of the woes in my nose !

Started out Thursday night at Foran's.  Mike Taylor had some
equipment problems so he really didn't do a full set, but it
was a good way to get going.  Nice to see longtime 313er Kelli
Kavanaugh again.  I wandered up Woodward to Bleu a little
after 1:30 hoping that TP might be finishing up, and much to
my surprise the place was totally empty.  I mean, totally.
The lights were on, the front door was ajar, there was nobody
inside, nobody at the front desk, at the bar, on the
dancefloor, taking out trash -- nobody... weird!

Friday I hoped to make it out to Belle Isle but never got
there. Just as well because I hear traffic was pretty messed
up.  In any event I got sidetracked at the Camillian Cafe/
Spectacles/Beatdownsounds second annual pre-DEMF Friday
afternoon thing at Harmonie Park.  Again, not very many of us
but I did see Norm Talley and Reggie Dokes and couple others
spinning.  I gotta tellya, Norm moves fast. On Sunday I got a
CD of his set at a booth at the festival, fresh from the
burner!

Dennis Donohue and family hosted what turned out to be the big
313 list gathering out in Southfield Friday night, with a
lot of people from all over -- Europe, west coast, Chicago,
DC. Beer was imbibed, burgers of all varieties consumed and
various people spun various things: Kent gave us the world
premiere of his Cornwarning Megamix ...

Some of us headed over to the UR event at the Baker to Baker
cabaret.  Not the best neighborhood in town, but definitely
not the worst.  It reminded me a lot of growing up as a kid --
we had a neighborhood folk dancing event every Friday night.
Baker to Baker is a neighborhood social hall, you show up, pay
your $5 or whatever, they provide cafeteria tables, a counter
with setups (no alcohol for sale on premises), and of course
sound system and DJs, and it's BYOBBB, bring your own brown
bottle baybee!.

Someone said it was a remarkable cross-cultural experience.
Basically, everyone had a good time, the music was all over
the map and when a good tune came along a lot of people jumped
up and grooved it on the floor, even a line doing the Detroit
hustle at one point.  And as others have mentioned it was
worth it just to see Mad Mike dressed to-the-nines.  He was
looking sharp!

I hooked up with Gerald (Matrix) and his crew, and we stopped
in at the Input party in the gallery at 715 E. Milwaukee.  A
big back room with a pretty thumping four-corner sound system,
and Kevin Yost was playing pleasant but not particularly
interesting jazzy house.  They kept turning up the levels
until it was unpleasant so we bailed.

On arrival downtown, I wanted to pick up a couple doughnuts at
Lafayette Coney Island, but it was just after 4 and the doors
were locked.  As I turned away, suddenly there was this
whirlwind and something grabbed me in a bear hug.  "Dude! You
missed it!! Party of the weekend!!!"  This was Rob Theakston
who was chowing down after the Ghostly party at Alvin's --
setting a theme for the weekend, which was that I was never
quite in the right place a good part of the time.

Saturday our west coast crew went out to Submerge for the
first panel with Juan Atkins, Duane Patterson and Mark Taylor.
This was my first look at the new Submerge 3000 and they
really have done a great job rehabbing the old Laundry Workers
local.  The panel was kind of self-conscious at first, with an
MC who just didn't know how to manage the situation or ask
effective leading questions.  Once the Q&A started things
loosened up and we even got Mad Mike in the mix on the issue
of how to recycle Detroit's solid waste into auto fuel.  If we
ever break the unholy alliance between Detroit and Houston you
can point to the Model 600 as the bellwether of the new age:

http://www.submerge.com/model600/metrp.html

Actually Duane Patterson's design is very reminiscent of the
work Amory Lovins and his "hypercar" team have been working on
for years:

http://www.hypercar.com/pages/what1.html

We all trundled down to the new S.I.D. store in the basement,
where I scarfed up the Shari Vari remix doublepack and all of
the Electrofunk releases.  At the counter, I saw a stack of
mix CDs by Franki Juncaj, who I mentioned here last week
because of his excellent Groovetech set.  So I say to my
friend, "I really liked that Groovetech thing but I don't know
how to pronounce his name."  Guy at the counter says, "That's
me!"  I'm still not sure if I can pronounce that name, but
Franki rang up my order!

OK, so we're all done with Submerge and now at the festival.
Missed out on Jay Langa and Mad Professor (who i've seen
several times doing the mixing desk thing for Lee Perry's live
shows), but we arrived in time to start with part of
Deepchord's excellent live show.  I also caught some of
Heather Heart, Steve Rachmad and Mike Dearborn, but Mike Grant
stole the show on the first day in my opinion.  A really
gutty, full-fledged set that didn't skimp on musicality and
kept moving.  I did miss John Tejada who got very high marks
from many people.

Saturday night we only went to one party but it was a good
one: UR.  The sound problems in the Johansen Gallery from last
year got fixed, and though the crowd was still more into the
stand-around mode, a good solid core of us were moving the middle
of the floor the whole time. Excellent set by Rolando but my hat's
off to Buzz Goree who, along with Mike Huckaby, is my favorite Detroit
DJ right now. I think my best musical moment of the weekend was
hearing Afrogermanic, it opened the room --outward-- just like it
did in London.

We did miss out on the Beatdown, Porter St and other parties,
and since we were leaving UR after 4 I decided to skip the end
of Cannonball Run which I again (!) regretted after hearing
BMG's description the next night.  But hey, UR was completely
worth it this year.

Sunday, I got motivated early and caught most of Gary Martin's
noon set that he played to an empty house, yet another example
of botched scheduling.  Missed Brian Gillespie, who was shut
off at 1 in the underground stage -- "they told me they needed
to stay on schedule," meaning that everyone sat around and
listened to commercials while they set up Stewart Walker's
gear.  Me and Greg Earle did hear Brian tear it up at the DJ
Supply showcase at 6, but in the meantime: Stewart just
shredded, got a big cheer and applause at the end of an
emphatically upbeat seat. Keith Kemp played a rolling west-
coast-Siesta-style laptop set, but it got samey after about
half an hour.  At this point I ran across Linda G who was
helping Huckaby out on artist logistics.  (She says hi to
everyone and is happily cooking at a restaurant up in Ferndale
these days.)  Keith was followed by Adam X with a crusty old
hardcore set and some blistering straight-up techno from Bryan
Zentz.  I also caught a fair bit of Rick Wade and Boo
Williams, who brought good cheer and stage personality to a
pretty responsive crowd.  After all that, it was time to make
our funk the P-Funk. Just wish it had actually started at 8 as
listed rather than 9 ...

I simply couldn't find the right handle for the Sunday
afterparties. We got to Planet E around 1:30.  After half an
hour in line we were at the front, and all of a sudden at
least 50 people come up clamoring that they are the VIP line.
At that point there were very few admissions in any event, and
total door gridlock set in.  So we bailed and checked out the
C-Pop scene (way crowded so we didn't go in), and finally I
went back to the old Submerge building.

I have to say, when Submerge moved out of DEI, the magic moved
out with them. Now it's just a building, with some fairly good
renovation work, but the party was, frankly, pretty flat.
Cisco Ferreira was playing slow and Punisher was playing fast
techno, the crowd was utterly listless, and I hit the exit
ramp in under half an hour.  Back to Planet E for another 45
minutes in line, during which there were power outages so once
again no entries. Finally got in after 4, but the cigarette
smoke was overwhelming and while I heard Carl had played
brilliantly earlier, by the time I got to the main area it
wasn't all that interesting.  But I must say that Mark
Ernestus was playing one of the best dub sets upstairs I have
heard in years.  And I ran into my Portland friends Jeff and
Dawn Hood who run the Starbass record store here, so it worked
out.  They're from Lansing and Jeff was telling me how he used
to go to the City Club, where Richie's party was upstairs,
back in 1984 to hear bands like Ministry!

Monday morning I was definitely feeling the effects of an
oncoming cold so I stayed in.  We hit the festival right
around the start of Green Velvet's set, and what can I say
other than it totally rocked, from Flash to La-La-Land.  We
had a good time watching Frankie Muthafockin Hahdkoah Bones
play the old slow jams ("Don't -- panic" !!) and I heard a
little of K. Hand and some really nice stuff from Mike
Huckaby.  But no doubt the day was owned and the world was
rocked by AO.  Especially that bit between about 4:45 and
5:15 just sounded great and he was really putting everything
into it, ending with a very good crowd reaction.  Thanks,
Alan, it really hit the spot -- my favorite set of the
festival.

My friend Susie is a huge Pet Shop Boys fan, so we played
hookie from the festival and went up to the State Theatre,
getting caught in a mob of Red Wings fans on the People Mover
at Greektown heading over to Cobo.  The Wings didn't do so
good Monday evening and neither did the PSB, who did a fairly
short show with a lot of ballads (what Susie called "Neil
Tennant does Phil Collins") as well as the usual crowd-
pleasers ("West End Girls," "Go West").  I'm not a huge PSB
fan so it wasn't any big deal to me one way or the other, but
the State is a thoroughly impressive facility, sort of like
the Warfield in San Francisco all grown up :)  The cigarette
smoke was so thick you could cut it with dull scissors.

We made it back to Hart Plaza in plenty of time for the Aux
Men. I'll second the other comments about this.  It was a
really well rehearsed and musically deep presentation, but the
scheduling really undercut it because it was definitely a more
contemplative history-of electro/techno rather than the big
glitzy finale that we got from Derrick and Richie in 2000 and
last year from Juan and the heavens above.  Also, the current
crowd just plain doesn't know '70s and '80s funk and electro,
and it seemed forced to yell out for everyone to sing Shari
Vari when it was obvious that most of the audience didn't know
the tune at all.

All the same, I was completely impressed with the
musicianship, and Nico Marks exceeded my expectations with
some terrific soloing. Given that most of the covers were
never performed live to begin with, I think this is a pretty
great accomplishment.  And I think the Aux Men shouldn't hold
back from doing some Aux and other more recent electro/techno
as they go on tour.  As great as it sounds on record, imagine
what "Let It Ride" or "Electro Techno" would sound like live!

I lobbied a lot of people to go to the Deep Heat Detroit party
at the gallery at 101 E. Baltimore behind the White Castle and
the USPS off Woodward.  (Actually it's an old fire station!)
Again a cabaret setup with a keg and a couple turntables up on
stage, very low key (although they did have a fog machine!).
Saw Tim Harper and a couple other guys spinning.  There were
only about 30 people there making me wish I'd been more
persuasive in getting a crew together because the party would
have been awesome with a larger crowd.  I did have the
opportunity to meet L.A. Williams whose Chisel label is one of
my real favorites, and he assured me it's still going on (I
later heard he may be moving to London).

So on to the final wrap-up, the KMS party at the Works.  Last
year was a lot of fun, and I know a lot of people had a good
time this year, but by the time we arrived around 3:30 the
crowd seemed tired and jaded although there was a fair bit of
dancing in both rooms.  The door-sleaze factor was in full
effect as about 20 people were escorted in past us low-ranking
paying peons.  This didn't add to my sense of fun and made us
regret not sticking with the Deep Heat party.

---------------------

In general, I thought the festival was in fact weaker than
last year. The music was pretty good but not as strong, and the
crowds were actually a little smaller and less "candy" but there
was less excitement overall.  The absolutely incompetent scheduling
and ambience didn't help.  Half hour to hour breaks on each
stage between acts, filled with the same inane half dozen ads on
the screens.  Certainly there are many hectic logistical details
that need to be dealt with to switch acts and yes, the bills
gotta be paid and sponsors gotta get their exposure, but this
was beyond insulting, it was a totally stupid waste.

As for the afterparties, they were completely uneven, with some
of the most hyped ones (Trackmode, Planet E, Minus) completely
overpacked, and some that deserved more attention getting little.
There's a certain kind of imbalance here that is probably
unavoidable.  On the other hand, Mike Banks and the UR crew pulled
off three really cool events in just 24 hours.

Despite all the politix and Carol Marvin's obvious limitations as
a festival director, it's really an enormously positive thing for
the city and the music.  The sense of energy in Detroit is so
different than it was in 1999, maybe it's not even obvious to those
who live there.

I do think the missing piece now is radio.  There ain't hardly
any worth talking about.  It's been 15 years since Mojo, more
than a decade since the Wizard and AO (Aux namechecked Fast
Forward during their set!), and the golden era of Friday and
Saturday booty mix shows led by Gary Chandler is behind us.
How can a truly vibrant scene be supported without radio
exposure? That's a real hard one to figure out.  But for the
time being, the DEMF is still a major source of torque for
Detroit techno and Detroit house and all the other electronic
music stuff that doesn't fit into genres.

>From the gossip I heard this weekend, it appears that Carol
Marvin has a pretty strong chance to renew PCM's contract to
run the festival.  The big question now is whether the
Kilpatrick administration will step in and fix what needs to
be fixed.

So the old advice still applies: stay low, stay strong.

Great to see everyone this year, and there were many (Dan
Sicko, LKS, others) who I know were there and our paths just
didn't cross.  But that's the kind of problem I don't really
mind -- an event so extensive that you don't automatically know
exactly who you'll run into ...

phred