----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Leidy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Ian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "The Music Institute" <313@hyperreal.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 11:02 PM
Subject: Re: [313] Does anyone compare to Hawtin?

> > > The fact is, he played very little 140bpm boom-boom-boom
> >
> > Which must have been the hour-or so that I caught. Around 4:30 - 6am.
>
> I was speaking w/ a hawtin fan about his recent tendencies toward
> hard repetitive stuff- and they were trying to tell me that he uses the
> hard stuff to weed people out of the crowd early on- for instance,
> playing hard banging stuff so that the only people who stay are those that
> want to just dance to anything and let the dj control them- then after an
> hour or two he gets into funkier and more fun stuff. i cant really comment
> because the last couple times i've seen him - i did leave within the first
> hour :) anyone have any thoughts on this idea?

I haven't been into Hawtin in a long, long time. I'm not even into the first
DE909 disk much, and haven't heard the 2nd, but I'm surrounded by Hawtin
fanatics. They always tell me about how the last couple of hours of his sets
are "minimal and funky". I'm sure they are, and I'm sure I'd enjoy that part
of it. Why must we endure three or four hours of bludgeoning first? His
DE909 show in Iowa City was 4 hours of non-stop beating, with one or two
songs that developed melodically. When he played in DC last Summer, he
played less pure locked-groove beats than I would have expected, but the
whole thing still felt pretty flacid musically. I danced some, his set was
only two hours, but I still felt like the seamlessness of his mixing and the
sameness of his track selection left me limp. His set @ Lifefest last Summer
was scarcely discernable from progressive house (until he played
Stardancer). That was by far the most dissapointed I've been.

I had a chat about this the other day with one of the Hawtin fans who
encircle me. I'm told he's in a transitional phase. Here's hoping. I know I
haven't seen his best sets, but I surely wouldn't want to endure another 4
hours of sense-obliterating locked-groove beat overload ever again. Whatever
happened to Richie Hawtin the house DJ? That I would love to see resurected!

Then again, what he's doing seems to work for him. He's probably got one of
the most devoted fan bases in the world, for any type of music - so more
power to him. I think Tosh's summary of all that is pretty right-on. It just
seems a shame to me that such a talented performer doesn't get musical more
often.

Tristan
http://www.mp313.com <- Music
http://www.metrotechno.net <- DC techno + more