Kathleen, I wasn't at the panel, and I do very much understand your point about the role of technology in globalization and economic inequality. However, keep in mind that (to use a little Marxist terminology), the productive forces, technology as such, are entirely bound by and exist only for the sake of the relations of production (capitalism and the need for companies to make a profit.) It is impossible to say what technology is "in itself"; any technological product is made with the intent to make a profit, not to explore what might be done with technology taken to its utopian extremes. Technology has the potential to feed everyone, to clothe and shelter every one, but that just isn't a "sound business investment." For technology to meet its potential, we need technologically savvy people who are willing to develop technology for humane and utopian purposes that will benefit all humanity (not to mention the other living beings that we share planet earth with.) I take the view that technology could be a very great thing, but we as human beings have so far been more interested in using technology to blow people up or rehash obsolete products in order to make a profit.

/dave

----Original Message Follows----
From: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "313@hyperreal.org" <313@hyperreal.org>
Subject: [313] submerge.panel
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 10:15:20 -0400

yeah this is a little late but.....

i was at the submerge panel saturday morning of demf....it had a very "pro technology" flavor to it...imo that is rather problematic since technology has played a _large_ part in the rising levels of inequality both in the united states (the income of the poorest 20 percent of households has fallen in real terms by about 15 percent in the last 25 years) as well as in developing countries (increases in technology have led to globalization which has led to dramatic increases in inequity in these countries)..i understand that the panelists were not there to speak on such things but all of us have a responsiblity to understand our place in the world

back to the music

kathleen

Paul Virilio:
"Resistance is always possible! But we must engage in resistance first of all by developing the idea of a technological culture. However, at the present time, this idea is grossly underdeveloped. For example, we have developed an artistic and a literary culture. Nevertheless, the ideals of technological culture remain underdeveloped and therefore outside of popular culture and the practical ideals of democracy. This is also why society as a whole has no control over technological developments. And this is one of the gravest threats to democracy in the near future. "