agreed. agreed. agreed.

for more good, even-handed context on globalization and the incredible
complexity of the phenomenon, see Naomi Klein's "No Logo."

as regards capitalism being the driving force behind techno (or increased
gender equality):

such an assumption is a denial of human agency.  it suggests that people
are not creative and simply react reflexively to their surroundings.  to
me, detroit techno is a living example of the absurdity of that
phenomenon.  people are creative and unpredictable.  they react in
interesting and unexpected ways.  the genius of ur came from people like
mike banks, not from some abandoned buildings downtown.  sure, those
buildings are part of the story, but the creativity that emerges from
human cultures is the most important reason techno or any other form of
expression exists. this is what i wrote my thesis on, and i believe it
very much.

ben

====data general===========
==www.umich.edu/~btausig===