I don't subscribe to a lot of the theorizing in this article, but
it's interesting -- about recent research done on the role of the
"creative class" in revitalizing cities.

In fact, Detroit has a pretty active creative class (the "electronic
music scene" is even mentioned obliquely in the article, but nothing
else, showing how little either the author or researcher seem to
know about the city), and the *potential* exists, as we've all
known, for this to spur the true rebirth of the city.  We'll see
whether the new mayor rises to that challenge.

Anyway, 313 related but not exactly electronic music related:

http://www.salon.com/books/int/2002/06/06/florida/index.html