Without simply gushing, I have to say this: when I'm in Iowa there are
two or three people who I know who get what I'm trying to do musically.
When I get to Detroit, people take my efforts seriously in a way that
I don't get anywhere else.

And I'm not claiming to be a grand artist or anything. I mean that the
PROCESS I'm engaged in --  trying to create something new and unique --
is regarded as the most natural thing on earth to people I meet in Detroit.
Around here, with a few exceptions, it's seen as a quaint hobby, like
collecting Beanie Babies.

Detroit folks have a lot to be proud of.