From: Hugo Sweet [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 12:19 AM
To: 313 (E-mail)
Subject: [313] Soundtracks and Early Memories

Hey fellow 313er's I have a couple of discussion threads that I hope may
have a bit of traction. After watching "The Insider" again, and being
reminded of Pieter Bourke and Lisa Gerrard's great synth-laden soundtrack, I
was wondering what are listmembers' picks for their favourite electronic
soundtracks? On another slant, I think most of you will agree that as soon
as you discover a real appreciation for techno, you want to explore its
roots, through electro, dub, italo-disco, kraut-rock, punk, or whatever.
I'm about to turn thirty, and being a naturally introspective chap, a memory
prompted me to consider my own roots for appreciating techno [self
indulgence alert]. I'm interested in member's first experiences of hearing
electronic music, back when you really had no opinion about music.
I'll explain by example.  When I was at primary school (years 1 to 8), we
would have an assembly each Wednesday.  Before each assembly, one of the
teachers would put an album on the PA to keep us quiet while the staff met
out the back of the hall.  Bizarrely enough, considering the number of
albums I must have listened to in this way, I can only remember one album,
and I remember that distinctly; Jean Michel Jarre's "Oxygene".
I found this memory significant because even though I have never had any
inclination to own that album, and I don't even recall ever hearing it in
its entirety, the quality and nostalga of the memories of that, "The War of
the Worlds", and Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor for organ at annual
carol services, are distinct from any other music (those recitations of Bach
on a cathedral organ were probably my first experiences of serious bass).
This was music that I listened to passively, when I never would have thought
"I've got to get a copy of that and find out everything else they've done!",
and without any reference to any other music. Living in Anglophile New
Zealand, meant from the late seventies until the Christmas of 1996, after
diversions through Orbital, Global Communication and Aphex Twin (thanks to
"Q" and "Select" magazines), I didn't find what I was looking for until my
brother asked for Stacey Pullen's DJ Kicks as a present. Did any of you have
similar experiences? As a side note did anybody else ever hear the version
of the soundtrack of "Star Wars" entitled "Star Wars and other galactic
funk".  I remember hat it was great for flailing around to when I was six,
but of little musical value. On television here, if the schedule was ahead
of time, and at a time that we only had half an hour of music videos a week,
the station would play a single video.  The electronic music one I remember
had time lapse photography of views of an American city.  Any ideas?
Nostalgically yours Hugo