From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [313] Am I the only person in the world

I personally find much of thier techno pretty boring these days to be quite honest and whilst I dont profess to be any sort of authority on Mills or Hood these days I cant help feeling that their techno hasn't really moved on that much since the term 'minimal looped techno' was coined.

I think it has. There's a great deal of difference between Hoods techno M-Plant material, his stringy Duet stuff, the Floorplan house and the Nighttime world sort of jazz-meets-classic-Detroit-strings. They all share Hoods' trademark sounds but there is plenty to distinguish them. Also, no-one has bit Rob Hoods style - he moves his sound forward (new M-Plants have almost sounded a bit DSP/treated) but you know its Hood at the helm and not some copyist, which Mills has perhaps suffered from (although thats not his fault).

Drexciya - I haven't been as enamoured with their recent releases but then I still think their best track is the "Lego blocks" cut on the Glass Domain 12" which set the benchmark pretty high :)

In fact the last thing by Robert Hood I was sent was his rendition of 'The Greatest Dancer' which was quite frankly awful.

I've said this before but I love this track. I love the energy of it and the fact its a trademark clean Rob Hood production, dirtied by the live aspect and singing. Yeah the singing isn't in key, isn't well produced blah blah but its great to hear something totally different and its good to see someone with the balls to release something with a messy energy like that.

Fabrice Lig

I do not understand the deal with this guys stuff. It pushes all the Detroit techno production values but seems so digital and clean and stripped of any of the rough mad freakiness that makes Detroit techno interesting...?

Otto will probably slap me for that :)