Well, I'd say I somewhat agree, although not totally.

1. I think it can be done on two decks... but the mixing has to be pretty quick certainly. Not letting records just play out but really mixing and playing around with them. 2. Not all looped bangers are equally interesting! Some records may be looped but, have, say, a bassline that is just sick. Or just one little thing, such as a string part, that fades in slowly and gives it that certain feeling. I tend to look for records that are certainly mostly looped bangers but have that one thing that makes them dramatic and memorable in some way. 3. There are a lot of different textures within minimal techno and banging drumtrax records. To me a big problem with boring techno sets is often that they display no variation in the overall texture as they progress. To me things should move in a gradual way to different places. I notice with the overabundance of tribal tracks that the all tribal texture can definitely get boring if not mixed with other flavors. 4. There is a way to mix in more minimal records which makes them seem more dramatic, good DJs do this. Of course working the FX well helps on this too.

just some comments, I think this is pretty 313 relevant since Detroit has its own share of this techno! /dave.cyborg_k

robin pinning wrote:

i think to make the most of 'looped bangers' you have to have three decks
and skills to match (a feel for what frequencies you should be using etc
etc for a start)....not all techno DJs have these skills and just play
3mins of looped banging and then a quick 8bar mix and another loop record,
this is why looped records have a bad name imo

robin...