I guess that in fusing vocal soul with techno in Inner City he was
explicitly displaying a connection back through time to Motown. Probably
more than Juan or Derrick's work, Inner City showed the wider world that
machine music could be infused with genuine soul. I'd say he was the guy out
of the Belleville Three who had the most aptitude for evangelising techno
and upping its profile among listeners entirely cut off from the
Detroit/electronic music ghettos.