On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, henrique casanova wrote:

> and i mean really techno, named that way and produced on detroit. it was by
> juan atkins? or it was a transmat?
>
> take care you all

three ways to define it:

1.  techno appears the first time an individual associated with detroit
techno comes out with an album.  one of the big three in this case.

Under this definition it'd have to be ALLEYS OF YOUR MIND by Cybotron.
Nothing comes before it...I don't think SHari Vari does.

2.  techno appears the first time the term is uttered in a "genre-like
manner" in a song produced by someone affiliated with detroit.

Under this definition I think it'd be Future by Model 500.  "Take a
look around you...techno's here to stay."

3.  Techno appears the first time the term is used as a record title for a
record produced by someone in detroit.

Under this definition I think it'd be the compilation by Ten Records.

To be really strict I think we'd have to either go with #3, OR point to
some record that comes after someone begins to use the term as a grouping
moniker in an interview somewhere.  If for example Juan is talking about
"techno music" referring explicitly to his stuff back in the eighties,
then anything produced after that point by him could be plausibly referred
to as techno.

what do people think about this?

peace
lks