Good question! I always view the starting point of that strand of music as
being Quadrant's "Infinition" on Planet E, but for reasons I would find hard
to back up in an argument R-Tyme's "Illusion" often sounds like a dub-techno
record to me.

Why? Well, practically every early techno record was produced with no
noticable delay or reverb on any of the sounds - the music sounded as if it
was pressed directly on the surface of the vinyl. However the only early
techno track I can think of which does use delay and reverb to give a sense
of space between the listener and the sounds on the record is "Illusion",
which uses the dub-techno method of focusing the listener's attention on a
simple chord sequence and then allowing the chords to drift off into the
ether.

I can't think of any earlier record right now that uses the same "chord
drift" technique so R-Tyme's "Illusion" would be my pick...

Brendan