better late then never
but i can agree on this one.

i should chip in as well..

the period with just before ninety and ex:el was the best. wasn't that fond of solaris (or what was the album after ex:el called?) with ninety and ex:el they got more & more their own typical sound, with olympic and lift etc. don't know even how to call it - but ninety in it's original form (not the tommy boy us version) is the best for me.. indeed with magical dream, donkey doctor, cobra bora and more - only eight/nine tracks - i mean, it really was an album

my favourites were quadrastate and ninety.. agree with marsel, ninety is still a great listen as an album - quite dark towards the end.. it was when albums didn't have to fill an entire cd either - so it's not exhausting to listen to, just the right length..

i'd just say that i'm not sure whether this was 808 state's "own typical sound" as gerald was still around at the time.. i can't help but think it all went downhill once he'd gone.. the characteristics of quadrastate and ninety that i enjoy the most are really obvious in gerald's solo stuff on hot lemonade and automanikk, and aren't there in 808 state once he'd gone..

and speaking of gerald we ought to mention his inertia stuff - two really blinding twelves on retroactive and juice box..

[EMAIL PROTECTED]