The first track on the second shellac album is, to my mind, very techno
- heavy on the repetition so that when the (very slight) change comes
its all the more powerful.

I think im right in saying that shellac build a lot of their own
equipment (amps etc) in order to get a very unique sound (albinis metal
guitar picks, his collection of vintage mics and having two producers in
the band probably helps as well).

I read recently that albinis extensive 'engineering' credits (I believe
he does not like to be credited as a producer) are due to the fact the
he still to this day charges a bare minimum to record bands.