I remember seeing them as well - they started their show by lighting an
entire brick of firecrackers off at the edge of the stage which sent the,
rather thin, crowd back about 15 feet. Then the drum machine proceeded to
malfunction throughout the show. The I was threatened with bodily harm by
some Nazi skin head. Great show.

MEK

                      FRED giannelli

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
<313@hyperreal.org>
                      .com>                    cc:       <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

                                               Subject:  Re: (313) top ten
rediscoveries for 2002.
                      01/07/03 10:22 AM

I saw them once and they were using an Oberheim DX drum machine not a
Roland.

on 1/7/03 11:13 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Big Black was from Chicago / Evanston, Illinois, and consisted of Steve
> Albini,
> Dave Riley, Santiago Durango, and Roland [drums]. Steve and a few others
from
> Scratch Acid formed Rapeman, another favorite of mine, also on Touch &
Go.
> Then
> he started producing other people... Breeders being one of the biggest
acts.
> He still does his band, Shellac, now.
>
> Pretty sure they were one of the first pseudo-"punk" bands to be touring
with
> just a drum machine. Dave was a member of Mojo's "Midnight Funk
Association";
> I never knew what the hell that was until years and years later, having
bought
> Atomizer first, on cassette, in 1987 at age 14.
>
> Perhaps I subconsciously drew interest from the card into Electrifyin'
Mojo >
> Detroit? My interest, aside from Motown, only developed as the 808 State
+
> Biorhythms comps started floating across the water. doh!
>

> +odd
> --
> At 9:14 AM +0000 07.01.2003, Robert Taylor wrote:
>> I second Big Black - weren't they from Detroit? This may be an extremely
>> tenuous 313-link but doesn't the cover have a matchbook or a membership
card
>> or something (sorry, I haven't seen it in years) depicting the
Electrifying