Oh sh*t I don't want to know

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Lees [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, January 24, 2003 3:53 PM
To: Alex Bates
Cc: Langsman, Marc; 'Fabrizio Nahum'; 313@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: (313) the risks of datareduced music

I think the levels of damage we're talking about here are a lot less
than the damage suffered listening to v. loud music in a club or
headphones. It's all relative, interesting nonetheless.

> is it damaging to sleep with music on???? i usually put a cd on as i go to
> sleep so it would last about an hour... am i damaging my hearing (its not
> very loud!)?!

The article says:

"I thus also suspect the data reduction in radio and TV broadcasts as a
cause, not least because the hearing uses particularly the sleep for
calibrating itself, during that the presence of neuroacoustically
datareduced tones thus should be particularly harmful. "

So as long as its a CD you should be okay ;) However there is another
danger from CDs

"A possible advantage of the data reduction characteristic to remove all
sound portions classified as "inaudible" could otherwise even be that
one could clean with it supposingly contaminated audio material (as for
instance propaganda from dictatorships) from so-called subliminals (i.e.
hidden hypnotic suggestion messages those are intended to get into the
brain without getting into conscious awareness) before listening."

Not too sure how plausible this article is?

--Mike

Any views or opinions are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
represent those of Channel Four Television Corporation unless specifically
stated.  This email and any files transmitted are confidential and intended
If you have received this email in error, please notify
[EMAIL PROTECTED]