Fab:
>the author only mentions cd audio as harmful in his personal case of >when he falls asleep listening to music and waking up with tinnitus. He >also seems to being basing part of his theory on this case, which IMO >is not a very scientific way of proving it. AFAIK cd quality audio is >not (heavily) datareduced so the authours theory may not apply. >Listening to music while asleep may cause other problems, like >nightmares though!

I completely agree with you, his argument was (basically) that he woke up after watching TV asleep with a ringing in his ears, therefore the datareduced sound used on TVs must cause tinitus.

Marc:
Surely by this rationale the data reduction whereby a spectrum of colours is
reduced to 3 colours (allowing your brain to interpolate / correct the rest)
would have the same affect as removing frequencies from sound ?!

But all colours are made from the primary colours? Therefore the data isn't reduced unless you use low colour depth ie. 8bit

I think the number of colours the eye can distniguish is between 16 and 24bit 2^16 or 2^24? By using fewer colours I don't think you're tricking the eye? It just sees a particular tint instead of another?

Michael:
I think the reason he wakes up with tinnitus is because in the middle of
the night his roommates sneak into his room, sedate him with heavy drug
injections, then proceed to bang out Jeff Mills' "The Bells" on the lids of pots and pans.

I know people who've stopped taking drugs purely on the basis of their tinnitus. Apparently after drugs it got so bad he couldn't sleep, I don't know if this is to do with hightened sensory awareness?

--
Mike