From: Ploegmakers, Joost [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2003 1:30 PM
To: 313@hyperreal.org
Subject: RE: (313) The techno/trance divide - reprise?

In my view, the main characteristic difference between trance and techno has
always been: melody. In techno generally the only real melody (if you follow
the pure definition of what a melody is) you are going to find is in the
bassline (if even). For the rest the music is composed of layer on top of
layer of different rhythms of sounds at one or two pitches. (ok, ok,
basically a rhythm of two tones is already a melody, but you will understand
what I'm getting at) In a lot of cases these layers create a melody of it's
own, but that's not what I mean with a "real" melody. Trance (and to a
lesser extend house!) doesn't have that. The music is much more traditional
to the extend that there is mostly a clear melody in the mid range.

That's also why techno was so different from other western music, when it
originated. The only music where you find a similar way of composing, is
ethnic music.