>Trance still uses the
>snare rolls, 'cause they work.

I see snare rolls as part of the corporeal dumbing down of dance music.
Snare rolls are for those same people who needed the intricate rhythms of
Jungle tamed and  nailed down to a 2 step breakbeat.  Cheap Wagnerian
dynamics whose purpose is to act as great big neon sign to the dancefloor
"watch out there is something very exciting comming up! prepare to go wild"
Yes snare rolls work for those people.  But there are much more
sophisticated ways of achieving the same effect.  The most effective are
the tracks which have a kind of build or holding off (before something
kicks in) which is hardly even noticable.  Its like you hear it
unconsiously. You hear it with the body only. This seems to be a quality
more or less exclusive to techno.  I'm thinking of something like the first
track on Kevin Saunderson's Xmix or Derrick May's remix of Praise (Inner
City).  It takes a few listens to figure out what's going on.  And even
then I'm still not sure if I understand why these intros work as well as
they do.