Yep I see a strong correlation. Like you Robin, I pull out the dub/reggae in
the sun too, also Brazilian (or Latin in general) house etc. However, I
think one needs a strong melancholic undertones (or even overtones!)
embedded (if you like) in your personality to get off on Detroit
techno/house as strongly as most of us do here. Let it rain!