From: lisa [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 28 May 2003 04:52
To: Jim Bishop
Cc: 313@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: (313) Jeff mills and richie at movement

I've only seen Mills once before Movement 03 and I was a bit
disappointed in his choice of sets - it seemed almost like he was doing
a 'best of/hits' set hopping around different types of music but not
necessarily in a manner that flowed well. I know it's not the best thing
to go into a performance hoping for something, but I was hoping he'd
play a wicked, bangin' set and he didn't.

Like I said before I think he played a lot of good tunes and I liked
watching him with the turntables (there were 3, right?). I didn't mind
that he did cut-overs because some of that worked. What kinda sucked
with that was some of the cut-over points he chose cut out verses or
measures of the song that would have worked & left it feeling 'short' -
like he stopped too soon and it wasn't pleasant/cool. There were a few
wrecks on the decks, but maybe he was a bit frazzled from those early
equipment problems? Like he got thrown off? I dunno.

I have more stuff to put up and will do that soon - just a bit tired
from getting back home tonight from Detroit after being without a
computer since Friday! Hmmm, speaking of computers... Did anyone else
notice how crappy the internet access was @ the Sony booth? I mean, it
was great they had it but using satellite/wireless gave weird results -
like sometimes really fast and other times worse than 56k (like 10
minutes just to load the google start page)! When the sun was out the
connections were pretty good. :) Oh well, it was free...

lisa

Jim Bishop wrote:

>I will say it cause many of you are thinking it.
>
>He sucked....seen mills 4 times and this was the worst. Gains always up to
>high, he trainwrecked numerous times, his own records even. Played the same
>damn techno tracks he always does (buy the liquid room disc and you heard
>the same set),  at one point he started playing hip hop not even mixing
>tracks, just cutting back and forth to new tracks. Mills had a few good
>spots, started to get great on the 909 then he stopped completely bowed and
>played rap. I enjoy good hip hop tracks like he played but he didn¹t even
>mix them. Many of you could have done just as good.
>
>Richie played the same stuff he always does. Snare rolls and high hats.
>Must say I think he is getting worse. Seen him 30 times now and most
>recently the last two times I have seen him his mixing has been terrible.
>What happened to richie the perfectionist now he always looks messed up.
>they must have took a thousand pictures that night of him posing for the
>camera, get of your horse rich and get back to innovating like you used to.
>I have never heard so many complaints at a richie show, MAGDA kicked his
>arse that for sure. What happened to the cutting edge things we are used
to?

>Overall the festival was great, but the big boys didn¹t hold it up that¹s
>for sure.
>
>Best parts:
>Thomas fehlman
>Akufen
>Speedy J
>Mathew Dear
>
>Flame away but I have talked to many of you over the weekend and I know
what
>you think to.  Don¹t you ever wonder why no one talks about a show when
>people ask how was the richie show and few answer, you know what happened.
>When someone is on this list is flooded with reviews in hours this time its
>seems to be quiet around here
>
>My .03 cents
>
>Flame Away but this is not a troll, longtime list member honest opinion

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---