On Sun, 16 Jul 2000 05:51:46 -0500, "sean deason" wrote:

> most annoying line: "Do you have anything with words
in
> it?"
> second most annoying: "Come on! but youre black! you
> *must* have some hip
> hop with you!"
>
> sean

Sean:  re: #2:  Wow!

Another memorable experience, this one way back in
1987-ish (the days when my only knowledge of techno in
lil' ol' Halifax was a soley a compilation called
"Techno: The New Dance Sound Of Detroit" which was
available through Virgin Records and thus I found at my
local chain record store): I was living in residence at
University and had a Friday and Saturday night
"residency" (ie I played music all night for whoever
might show up, might be a rock music wanting crowd,
might be a dance music wanting crowd, might be a cheesy
music wanting crowd) at the University's bar, which
just happened to be, literally, right next door to my
residence. Thus I was able to bring over, again
literally, my entire record collection to choose from
(played about 5 hours a night for a varied crowd, so it
was good to have everything).  That was back when you
played a bit of *everything* in sets.  The most popular
request was "that 'get down on your knees' song" (yep,
that's how people requested it; they were referencing
the chorus to New Order's Bizarre Love Triangle). I
still remember buying the Steve Silk Hurley mixes of
their new single Fine Time and being super frustrated
when I couldn't break it to the crowd no matter how I
tried. Anyway, the story:  the booth was really big, I
mean really big, and I was set up with the turntables
(no 1200s for me back then, baby, we're talking
whatever could be scrounged) at the very front with my
records in crates on a couple of tables at the very
back of the booth.  The entrance to the booth was back
by the tables, and it was pretty dark at the back at
the booth (I had my records extremely well organized,
so it didn't really matter that it was dimly lit where
they were).  Anyway, I was playing out and kept getting
the eerie feeling that there was someone in the booth
with me; but quick glances around--nope, there was no
one standing next to me.  I had a good bunch of records
up at the front with me, but after a bit (maybe 20
minutes or so), I thought of a record that I wanted to
get that was in the crates at the back.  So I went back
to the back and there was a woman standing there, with
her back to me, hunched over my crates and going
through my records.  She had a big pile on one side of
her (like 30 records or so) and was adding to the pile.
 I said "uh, can I help you?" and she said "Yeah, I'm
picking out some records for you to play." I kindly
thanked her (sarcasm on here) and she left the booth.
Had I not had to go back to the back of the booth
(again, it was BIG), I wonder how many records she
would have pulled? Anyway, after she left, I looked to
see what she had pulled, and it was all the more
accessible stuff I had for the more conservative crowds
when I was doing off-university things.  Not sure what
she was thinking; if it had been a restaurant, wouldn't
that have been the equivalent of her going back into
the kitchen to "help" the chef prepare her meal? Andrew
Duke

out now: Environmental Politics http://and-oar.org
Take Nothing For Granted http://acidfake.tk
Sprung http://bip-hop.com
http://warprecords.com/mart/music/release.php?
cat=BLEEP12&fc_type=CD
*Canadian electronica album of the year nominee*
More Destructive Than Organized http://staalplaat.com
Highest Common Denominator http://pieheadrecords.com
Physical and Mental Health http://dialrecords.com
74'02 (split with Hypo) http://tsunami-addiction.com
Waveforms: Halifax Electronic Music Compilation
http://techno.ca/cognition