From: Maarten Baute [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 29 July 2003 12:47 PM
To: 313@hyperreal.org
Subject: (313) Derrick May @ 10 Days Off

-- 3rd try, earlier post don´t seem to get thru --

Hi friends,

now that it is still fresh in my memory, I will try to review the
closing night from 10 days off (with my last efforts - so don´t mind the
typo´s). Well.. let me say first that I only checked the main room, I
actually only wanna talk about Jack De Marseille and Derrick May.

2h - 4h: Jack De Marseille :
----------------------------

Man man man..... is this guy boring. Loop techno some boring electro...
no sample in 2 hours time.. All synth work, quite progressive. Very
boring, and too hard. I was actually getting p*ssed of by this guy, so
what I hoped was that at 4 am Derrick Would come up, push Jack away and
say "this is how you do sh*t" and then take two copies of strings of
life and double the beginning part up (the strings). But this was not
the case... It was even worse than that: Derrick gave Jack a warm hug
(the crowd cheered). I thought Derrick would have tought "Oh my god, I
hope I never met Juan, look what happened because of me, all that boring
loop techno". But no...

4h - 7h: Derrick May :
-----------------------

When Derrick came up, it was my first moment of joy from the evening, he
opend up with "son dos" from los hermanos and then played "dj gregory -
attend", wich got me moving the first time of the whole evening. I
actually was screaming! Great track.

But then the nightmare began. He played boring clubtrack after the
other... it was uninspiring.. nothing special.. it was actually just the
same style as jack de marseille did before. I couldn´t believe my
ears... It was the worst Derrick May set I heard in my whole life. I
mean... how long can you dance to a loop?

I left after one hour of Derrick May, no second to early.

A big big dissapointment..

He has the records, he has the skills, why torture us with loop techno
(of the really boring kind), if he can make the most wonderfull mixes.
Why? Easy money? Start the discussion please.

Another 'going out disaster'. I actually never had a good techno night
out, never! Probably going to the wrong places. Where is Theo or Shake
when you need them?!

Cheers,
Maarten
my musical interests