>What I dislike is the fact that on a cd there are often more songs or
other
>songs than on the vinyl version. Why do they do that? That you buy both?
Or
>is that just the limited space on vinyl? Well, then make it a double or
>triple!!!

Often there will be more songs on the CD, as you rightly mention. I don't
think that people do it so that you buy both formats. I think it has more
to do with the amount of minutes of music, while still getting a reasonable
pressing that you are limited to with vinyl. (as against production cost).
For example, I had a little moan recently because both the new Pavel
Koustick and Andres LP's are both on single vinyl. But - that one piece of
single vinyl with cover etc will have cost far more to manufacture than the
CD, and the label will still receive less or the same amount from the
distributor for that unit.

Basically there's no incentive whatsoever to make that a double LP -
therefore you have to lose some tracks (due to only having 2 sides to play
with), simple as that, and there's your reason......

Which brings me on to something else entirely. Believe me, I am the biggest
record junkie I know - I have to have things on vinyl, or original press
etc - but I don't see why we should all be so scared of what will happen
after vinyl - I see reguarly on this list that people are quick to jump on
peoples back when, for example Erick Morillo said that vinyl was a dying
format. I mean, its harsh, but unfortunately there is truth in it. Of
course, there will always be vinyl collectors of our generation around, and
vinyl will never 'die' as such, but will become a more and more obsolete
format, just as 78's are now. But there's still a healthy 78's trade going
on right?

I just find it really surprising that we're all on this list because we
think we like forward thinking music - but we're all so SCARED of vinyl
'dying'. Why? Whats the point? OK, the new format won't be the same, but
you can bet money that you'll be able to manipulate it in far better ways,
and it will be cheaper to maufacture, therefore keeping the 'underground'
alive, if not making it far bigger.

and this, from the biggest fu**ing record junkie in the world - ask anyone
who works in a record shop in Manc.....
: )

behalf of PricewaterhouseCoopers.

telecommunications systems. By replying to this e-mail you
give your consent to such monitoring