I think that's a compelling point.
But the mark up price comes from all the middle people involved in getting
that CD, the distributors, the stores. I guess they want their income too,
rightly or wrongly.
Often the indie stores are more expensive though as they're not buying
things in bulk, but I guess at least you know that the money is going to an
independent store.
I actually think there's a need for a real overhaul in thinking, but I do
feel for the people *affected* by file-sharing. I reckon close to a 1/3 of
the Australian record co industry has disappeared, and promo and publicists
go first. Now there's talk of mergers between majors here which creates even
larger monopolies.
There's one key distributor now here without any publicist working their
stuff and so no one knows something is out. You ask for an interview and no
one cares enough even to give you the os contact so you can organise it
yourself.
The drop in vinyl is interesting too. I think Diana makes a valid point
here.
But I am personally sick of labels feeling that if they release CD
compilations, they *have* to be mixed.
I like the full tracks.
I liked GrooveTech but they compelled you to use Fed Express and for
international orders that makes it sooo expensive.
Also I could never find much by way of Detroit stuff there.
I really recommend Record Time mail order, they're super quick and have a
site that
works. I can't order from Juno as there software is incompatible with my
system.