definatly a good take on this whole subject...but i have always believed
that larry heard should be in this conversation almost as much as ron
hardy....derrick may definatly reflects ron hardy's dj style , but as for
the tracks derrick may made, larry heard  had to be a huge influence. i
have heard from several people that larry heard was a huge influence on
derrick as well as others...last time rick wilhite came out here to
portland we were talking about this kind of stuff and he was telling me he
plays techno. a kind of techno no one else plays, yet most people would
have called this house. and i have also heard of people like Glenn
Underground and Boo Williams, and Brian Harden refer to some of there sets
as Chicago techno...i think sometimes they do this just to mess with
people's heads , but there is some truth to those terms as well....i mean
i know larry heard is the man who helped invent house yet listen to his
gherkin jerks stuff and other stuff it sounds alot like what was later
called detroit techno....lenny and lawrence  burden once told me MANY
detroit artist used to go and check out ron and other clubs in chicago as
well as go record shopping down there, and larry heard was a total fixture
in that scene so many of the detroit guys were hevely influenced by larry
heard as well as ron hardy....then there is little louis and k-alexi and
others that were all around at the same time...some of those old k-alexi
tracks can sure sound detroit technoish at times....but they are strictly
chicago house.... just my 2 cents on the topic.....good thread

michael
www.renegaderhythms.com