That's a very good analysis. One thing that springs to mind, for me, is
that, during the mid and late 1980s, there was another city apart from
Detroit where people were trying to develop a sound called "techno":

'We have heard techno attempted, and yet sadly you have failed
you should stick to vice, miami - leave the techno to LA!'

That's from a DJ Unknown & DJ Slip track on Techno Kut records in 1988 -
Techno Kut's sound was very heavily influenced by Kraftwerk and Cybotron.
However, it wore those influences on its sleeve in a far more overt way than
the music that ended up being known as Detroit techno, sounding pretty much
like early 1980s electro and often basing whole tracks around flagrant
Kraftwerk samples.

Sometimes I wonder if, if the Techno Kut people had ended up developing a
more unique and distinct sound, the terms we use for music today would be
totally different? It would be pretty strange to have LA as the epicentre of
"techno", and for artists like UR or Jeff Mills being spoken of as "house"
producers.

And was the actual *direction* of the music affected in any way by the fact
it was called "techno"? If people had always just thought of it as "Detroit
house", would it have still developed into what it is today?

Brendan