Everyone's music collection is based around 'phases'. Reynolds just does an excellent job capturing his phases in print. Don't diss because he went
through some phases that you didn't.

I don't have anything against phasing of techno. I'll just diss then cause I think it's a wack book. It's a visceral reaction. You've done a good job at citing the reasons why you like the book, fair enough. However I think any writer that capitulates this much on opinions, trends, phases, THIS micro-genre is better than THAT micro-genre [at this millisecond in time], etc. (that's what music journo's do, i admit, and it's usually more out of their desire to generate more ink than a true proper look at something for what it is) just killed his earnestness and credibility for me.

I think it comes down to a vibe if you like all the ranting and spouting and style of Reynolds. To me just sounds like B.S. through the lens of e-colored glasses... like the guy in the chill-out room you wish would just shut-up and finally just pass out. ;) I don't recommend the book other than a way to react to his half-witted blatherings and form an opinion of your own. I guess that's what good books do, force you to react to an opinion, but not in the way this one does?

That said I haven't tried to write a book on techno, so I still can't blame him for trying. Respect is certainly due for that. But this is a book for people who want to get back in touch with their Inner Raver... or see what other parts of the rave scene they missed out, it's a book about drugs connection with the music... it's a book as much or more focused on drugs than the music. In fact little all that critically valuable on the actual music IMHO, other than some interesting details here and there on tracks but lacks any real perspective. Obviously you connected with Reynolds, I don't.

Wasn't it Reynolds who called Maurizio-type music "heroin house" in The Wire? It's almost like for Reynolds the music CANNOT EXIST without a drug reference to compliment it. That's just such a crutch! (for the record: I am not anti-drug, i'm more anti-idiocy than anything.)

Hey, if you like it you like it. :) I just wanted to point out some of the reasons it chafed me personally... your mileage may vary. If you want to read all about drug subculture with music as the secondary backdrop, you may love it, I didn't. If you're looking for something meaningful about techno music, I recommend you look elsewhere.

peace,
Matt MacQueen