From: Tom Churchill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>It's not the price so much as the fact that there's not much
music on the
>record - Mahigani releases are priced the same as normal US
imports here but
>spending £8 on one short, average track isn't something all of us
are happy
>to do unless the track is really amazing...

i suppose that is true. its not very often that i buy a record
where im definitely going to listen to or play more than one or
two tracks anyway, so cutting out filler doesnt necessarily bother
me.

>Well, they're both in stock and available to buy at Rush Hour,
for example -
>none of the stuff seems too hard to track down yet...

didnt look on rush hour, but i know i havent seen the andres
anywhere on distro lists in the US since the week it came out. id
actually like to have another copy of that one.

>> well i cant disagree with you more on the AM. thats gotta be one
>> of the hottest house tracks of the past few years...
>
>Fair enough - I thought it was stunningly average - but each to
their own...

even hiphop deejays i know dig that track. the NYC house squad in
pgh who normally play mostly blaze/maw/etc type stuff even dig
that one.

>Here's a hypotherical question - would you have bought the Kai
Alce record
>if it had been released on a label other than Mahogani?

well i already had his late night essentials and track mode
releases. those are the only 2 releases he had previous to this
according to discogs, and while hes not a "buy on sight" producer
in my book, i do have every record by him that ive heard. so yeah
i probably would have picked it up.

>What if it was an
>import from Europe on a label you'd never heard of, with no
association to
>KDJ whatsoever? I'm just curious as to what extent the fact that
it has
>KDJ's blessing would influence your decision to buy a record.

considering the fact that i get my records for cost from working
at a shop, id have probably picked it up no matter what as even
imports are relatively cheap for me. if i had to pay full price, i
cant guarantee what id do. im getting so used to getting domestics
at cost that paying $11 for a single reguardless of how many
tracks are on it seems almost silly.

>Don't get me wrong, I'm a big KDJ fan too - I'm just not prepared
to buy
>records which sound average just because they're on his label. If you
>genuinely like the record and would have bought it regardless
then fine, I'm
>not challenging you - just curious...

im not taking it as a knock. i would say that i am definitely much
more likely to pick up something associated with KDJ or theo
parrish or rick wilhite if its just an average record. like i
said, im pretty picky so i dont have too many filler records
laying around. with the infrequency that those guys put out other
peoples' stuff, id rather just pick it up and support them because
they almost always put out much more excellent material than average.

tom

andythepooh.com