From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>this might be off topic, so my apologies.
>
>I was just wondering, say you press a record in the US and
put "Promo Use
>Only, Not for Resale, Radio Use Only etc" does that make you
exempt from
>licensing laws or something?
>
>Or is it that if you get caught you can say "well, we weren't
trying to
>sell it"
>
>The reason I ask is because you see it on most US bootlegs.
>You also see it on a compilation from a well known NYC house
label thats
>been out recently, that I'm almost 99% sure is a bootleg.
>which is extremely cheeky I reckon, considering who the artists
are...

you mean that ibadan joint? i think ALL their records that sample
stuff or whatever say that. im not sure if that means its a
bootleg or what. people in the UK do that as well though, i can
remember some 97 era congo natty releases that had a non white
label and said "promo use only" on them. i think that means that
you can have the promos out before actually clearing the samples
or whatever.

tom

andythepooh.com