again, f*ck the RIAA.

----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <313@hyperreal.org>
Sent: Friday, January 30, 2004 3:17 PM
Subject: Re: (313) RIAA v. DJ's

OK - so here's another question
It's the Record Industry Association of America - which I then assume
excludes UK, Japan, Euro, Oz, etc. labels
so then, hypothetically, I could make a mix CD consisting solely of labels
and artists from these countries and the RIAA then legally can't touch it
because it has no jurisdiction over the content.

this, I believe, is the most complete list available of labels that are
members of the RIAA
http://www.riaa.com/about/members/default.asp

so don't use those labels in your mixes or stick with independent labels
from outside the US and you're golden... unless those artists and labels
ask you to remove the track from your mix

let me know if this is or isn't true

MEK

                      jonathan morse
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        To:       <313@hyperreal.org>
                                               cc:
                      01/30/04 05:00 AM        Subject:  (313) RIAA v. DJ's

DJs mix CDs attacked in attempt to control copyright

Words: Terry Church

The Record Industry Association of America (RIAA) has launched
a new campaign against DJs in an attempt to control copyright infringement.

They have already confiscated $100,000¹s worth of mix CDs
from independent record stores across the US.

DJ mix CDs, sold in almost every independent record store are
on the whole unlicensed and technically illegal to distribute. However,
DJs and producers alike often rely upon these illegal mixes in order
to gain credibility, and to promote themselves to the general public.

The practice is in fact approved of by most producers who see it
as fundamental to the survival of the dance scene - even if it is
their tracks that are being copied and played without permission.
This latest attack by the RIAA is therefore hypocritical ­
they claim that their pursuit of copyright infringement is primarily
in the interest of the artist, yet most dance producers actually
approve of and rely upon this illegal distribution.

The dance scene relies upon these ?illegal¹ ways to                survive,
and it seems that the only people who actually care about
this particular copyright infringement are not the artists themselves
but the record companies ­ who are only involved in the dance
scene for profit.