sorry jurren but that's incorrect.

in a piece of recorded music there are two copyrights:

1) the copyright in the sound recording (generally owned by the recording
company)

2) the copyright in the musical work or composition (ultimately owned by the
composer(s) who may be represented by a publisher)

if you want to copy a song from a cd/vinyl to another medium you need to
clear both copyrights.

if you wanted to to cover a song (ie. just use the composition but not the
recording) you only need the permission of the owner of the musical work.

BUMA/STEMRA (NL), SACEM/SDRM (FR), BMI/ASCAP/SESAC/FOX (US), APRA/AMCOS
(AUS), MCPS/PRS (UK) are composer based organisations - they have nothing to
do with record company associations like RIAA (US), BPI (UK), ARIA (AUS).

Typically the relationship between composers and record companies is
adverserial. For record companies, payment to composers represents a leakage
of profits and generally record companies will do everything they can to
underpay composers for the use of their copyright works.

you won't be able to license the use of singular sound recordings through
associations like the RIAA. you will need to go directly to the label
itself. the riaa may however offer 'blanket' licenses for the use of a whole
heap of their sound recordings on a radio or tv station.