Michael Elliot-Knight wrote:

OK - so here's another question
It's the Record Industry Association of America - which I then assume excludes UK, Japan, Euro, Oz, etc. labels so then, hypothetically, I could make a mix CD consisting solely of labels and artists from these countries and the RIAA then legally can't touch it because it has no jurisdiction over the content.

no.

the RIAA is the organisation that controls the copyrights in America, like BUMA/STEMRA in the Netherlands or SECAM in France. this means that if you use copyrighted material IN the US, you'll have to go through the RIAA to get permission. if you use it in the Netherlands, you'll have to go through BUMA/STEMRA. the RIAA, BUMA and others exchange their revenues, so in the end every coppyright owner gets what he/she deserves.

so even if you use - for example - pepe braddock's 'deep burnt' on a mix, you have to license it through the RIAA, who in turn will make sure the money goes to SECAM, who will give it to pepe or his recordcompany.

jurren

Talk with your online friends with MSN Messenger http://messenger.msn.nl/