not only is there no real new generation of black techno, but i mean matthew dear...who cares if he's popular, does it really have any soul or connection to the character of classic detroit techno? not that i can hear...just happens to be from detroit..and i mean look at what ends up under the "techno" listing on new release lists etc...first, there's not much, 2nd what there is is 80--90% lifeless dj tool crap...

I guess you're right. I can understand their disappointment.

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Greg Earle [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 3. Februar 2004 13:09
An: 313@hyperreal.org
Betreff: Re: (313) Derrick May quote and the Death of Techno

I'm going to risk a major firestorm by venturing that when Derrick said

> "... because I think this may be the last chance that we may be able
> to do
> it through Techno music.  I don't know if there's going to be a next
> generation of young musicians coming through to follow up in our
> footsteps."

he really meant "I don't know if there's going to be a next generation
of
young BLACK Detroit musicians coming through to follow up in our
footsteps."

I've had discussions on several disparate occasions with Black Detroit
artists (Rob Hood, Kenny Larkin, Bone, etc.) and they all bemoaned to me
the fact that there seemed to be no young Black cats coming up through
the ranks - that all the young brothers were just interested in Hip-Hop
now,
and didn't care about Techno.  They all understood why things were the
way they were, but it made them sad nevertheless.

Obviously I don't live in Detroit so I don't know all the current
players
on the scene, but off the top of my head I couldn't think of anyone
younger than, say, Sean Deason (chime in Sean!) or Kenny Dixon Jr. (or
our own Jwan, if we stretch Detroit over to Pittsburgh :-) ).

(One thing that triggered my thinking of this line of reasoning was
listening
  to Kenny's old Dark Comedy track "Without A Sound (Silent Mix)" from
"Corbomite
  Maneuver".  [EMAIL PROTECTED] what a sublime track.  It's going on my Wedding
music list.)

        - Greg

Let the new MSN Premium Internet Software make the most of your high-speed experience. http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-us&page=byoa/prem&ST=1