Von: Derek Plaslaiko. [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 3. Februar 2004 15:40
An: J. T.
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; 313@hyperreal.org
Betreff: RE: AW: (313) Derrick May quote and the Death of Techno

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, J. T. wrote:

> not only is there no real new generation of black techno, but i mean
matthew
> dear...who cares if he's popular, does it really have any soul or
connection
> to the character of classic detroit techno? not that i can hear...just
> happens to be from detroit..

does it have any SOUL, you ask??? have you listened to his music, or just
tracked through it because it was a detroit artist, and since it didnt
sound like "no UFOs" or "strings of life" or "jaguar"  you decided it was
not worthy of being catagorized as a detroit record?

god, do i get tired of this generalization. why, OH WHY does everything
have to sound like a modern day submerge record to be labeled "detroit
techno" anymore? dont people realize that most of the records that defined
(notice the past tense, that most cant seem to let go of) detroit techno,
were produced 12-21 years ago, and there shouldve been TONS of
evolution in that time period?

perfect example: shake. shakes been around from the get go, but has
continuously evolved. shakes records sound like shake records. not because
of similar sounds used, but because he has a specific style.. a certain
brand of soul. are you going to tell me that the only reason shakes music
has soul, is because hes black and from detroit??? in my opinion, those 2
factors are secondary factors. shakes music has soul, because shake has
soul.

the fact that matthew is white has nothing to do with the soul of his
music. if you think that, then you better be thinking the same about joy
division, liquid liquid, francois k, or recloose, even.

everything matthew has produced has come straight from his soul. alot of
it is downright moving too. listen to "some new depression" from the
ghostly 'Idol Tryouts' comp. first time i heard that track in its
entirety, it nearly brought me to tears... the same way derrick mays
"icon" does to me.

i hope that one day people will understand these points better.

derek.