Surgeon mainly uses Ableton now to play live. Both appz offer advantages
over 12's. The first being, you don't have to carry a box of 12's
everywhere - pure pain in the ass as anyone who's walked more than ten yards
with a bag of 80+ will tell you. Popping on a plane with a laptop with
back-up in your pocket has loads of advantages over losing your records to a
thiefing fcuker at the airport.

Of the two, I would say Ableton offers more advantages than Final Scratch
but requires more prep work before a set. I really can't see the point in
buying the vinyl side of Final Scratch unless you plan to do some scratching
or love doing backspins.

Surgeon has set the benchmark for what you can do, I've never heard him play
the same set twice and he can play for 4 hours plus without repeating
himself and it's add loads of depth to his stuff, some of the stuff he does
is so sweet, clever and so on target.

Also, with MP3's now becoming more available it's only a short matter of
time before it's the main way to play out. Why you say, well when you
consider that a distributor and shops still make more than the artist it
won't be long before artist can sell direct to the punter and make enough to
live on without all the hassle and have direct contact and feedback. It's
not as far away as you may think.

Martin