I'm trying to offer the best spread between size and quality on my
netlabels (www.rohformat.de, www.primative.net/schleudertrauma/ <
shameless self promotion - GOTCHA! ;). That's actually vbr mp3's
compressed with lame 3.90.3 codec using the --alt-preset standard
setting. Right now i'm almost alone with vbr in the netlabel scene. Many
others still use lame compressed 192kb HQ mp3's. I would also love to
offer .ogg which i consider to be way better, qualitywise - it's not yet
spread broadly enough. Since a lot of people in our "audience" are using
Traktor/FS i won't move to .ogg before N.I. will support it.

On a sidenote, the difference between lame --alt-preset standard or .ogg
and lossless formats isn't significant enough to approach our users with
lossless compressed files that are up to 7 times bigger. Many people who
download music from netlabels aren't flatrate or highspeed internet
users. Maybe in some years the public request for lossless files will be
strong enough to make the step. I don't see that for now as it's also a
storageproblem, and hd's aren't up for this task yet ;)

I personally think that discussion about file compression techniques
should be hold under seperate cover (bet that'd be a nice flamewar,
heh...)

The thing that worries me most about apple etc, they all try to punish
the user to use their own software to play their native formats. It's
the same as with cd copy protection, the customers don't want to have
limited access to products they buy. Back to aac (e.g.), converting
between compressed formats doesn't make sense and are NO option as some
industry people might tell us.

About the bandwidth, storage space vs quality problem:

Of course, bigger files have higher fixed costs. But why is there no
option for the customers to choose buying better quality for a higher
price? I bet the industry assumes that the usual customer is a dumbo and
satisfied with the crap they sell there (pity, that's even true :/ ).
Well, where is this heading to? I bet it needs some group effort in the
"underground", i.e. a foundation of independant labels offering music in
reasonable quality. Instead, i have to learn that Tresor joins apple :(

The only thing that makes me a little bit happy about the situation:

the amount of hits on netlabel websites is steadily growing. So should i
cry or laugh?..

My 2,5 €cent.

Ronny