I personally didn't find SAW2 that challenging or inaccessable at all. To me, it is simply beautiful music. It did, however, completely change the way I think about what music is and can be, and furthermore became one of those albums that defines a year (1995 I believe it was for me). Every time I hear it I think of things that happened during that time period. I think you know what I'm talking about. As a matter of fact, my CD's are getting wore out... I need to replace them. Tim Moore writes:

I don't even think the two albums are even comparable, despite the names. They're both brilliant, but totally different SAWII is *very* minimal and textural...ambient in the truest sense. It's a lot less accessible than the first one, which is probably why you've seen bad reviews. You either love it, or just don't get it at all I guess. It's not for everyone, but I'd say it's definitely worth getting if you like more challenging stuff.
--
Tim Moore