Good points - I recall bringing this up a few years ago. That is, how you
can listen to an artists records and think - I'd love to hear this person
DJ - but then you go see them DJ and their spinning style is totally
different. Sort of what happened when I saw Funk D'Void at DEMF. I love
Technoir and was hoping for some of that funky deep sound like Herbie on
Rhodes and V-Ger. Of course I was expecting harder stuff along the lines of
Snakebite and Bad Coffee but from what I heard it was all hard techno drum
loops. I got bored right quick and if I had gone to see just him I would
have stuck around but as it was there were three other stages of music to
choose from.

Regarding  Joe Clausal and Danny Krivit's productions - yeah, too noodly or
just sort of limp Latin influenced hosue music (too many whispy voices
going "la la la - la la la"). I like Francois' stuff though - he's not
afraid of harder sounds in his own productions (and they don't come off as
J Vasquez or Armand Van Helden tracks either).

MEK

                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      sDigest.com                  To:       Kent williams
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                                                   cc:       313 list
<313@hyperreal.org>
                      03/17/04 05:43 PM            Subject:  Re: (313) Tortured
Soul!?!

the productions of the three body and soul djs - francois k, joe clausal
and danny krivit, and the body and soul mix cds are no indication of the
vibe and music at body and soul afternoons and evenings.
take joe clausell, as mat said (i think) his spiritual life stuff can get a
little noodly and disappear up it's own arse.
but, at b&s joe played in a way that was anything but noodly. he was the
hard man of b&s. he was the favourite of the shirtless muscle marys that
hung out at the back of the dance floor and had just come from 14 hours of
junior vasquez at the tunnel.

i went ot b&s religiously for the time it was running and absolutely loved
it. but i don't own any of the b&s mix cds and very little of the
production of the djs.

for another example, take theo parrish. absolutely love his djing -i'd be a
very happy little vegemite if i could dance to chicago acid and disco
classics for the rest of my days. but as for his production, there are only
two tracks that really move me on the dance floor - lost keys and dan ryan
(that's the tribal track on roots revisited, right?).
james
www.jbucknell.com

             Kent williams
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
             17/03/04 06:52 PM         313 list <313@hyperreal.org>
                                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: (313) Tortured Soul!?!

>From what I gather, Body & Soul had a particular vibe that doesn't
necessarily
translate outside its own peculiar context.  I have been at Deep
House-centric
events with what I imagine to be a similar feel. What makes that sort of
event
different is that there are a lot of people in attendance who are not at
all
ravey, but just love to dance.  They have favorite tracks that make them
make
wave their hands in the air and make this face:

http://www.psychiatry.uiowa.edu/~kent/lj_images/tpnye/2.html

That sort of feeling on a dancefloor is highly infectious.  The
same music in another context could well come off as rather cloying and
slack.

My personal taste is for more varied sets, where it's not one uplifting
vocal house anthem after another. In other words, variety and contrast make
a DJ set enjoyable, something that seems not to have occurred to a lot of
DJs.

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004, Matt MacQueen wrote:

> ah, but  there's a point at which though (this may be blasphemy to some
> here) that the whole Joe Claussell super organic "spiritual" house can
> get too watered down and wank-off-ish to me.

ForwardSourceID:NT00008AD2