I certainly think it's possible to convey the concept of 'Detroit
techno' to someone else without actually playing the music - but
only to a certain extent, which is itself dependent on the musical
experience and knowledge of the person you're talking to.

One way to approach this whole question is to remember whether you
yourself had any knowledge of what Detroit techno was supposed to be
before you heard any of it - did anyone try to convey its "meaning"
to you? Did it make any sense at the time? Did it arouse your
interest? And when you first heard it, was it in line with your
expectations?

I was aware of the existence of Detroit techno for about six months
or so before I properly heard it. As a precocious sixteen-year-old
I was in the process of seeking out all this hitherto undiscovered
spacey/futuristic electronic music (The Orb, Black Dog, Ultramarine
etc), and started to notice frequent references to Detroit techno
in interviews with these British artists I'd been getting into.

For quite a long time I was fascinated by this concept of modern
cerebral electronic dance music having this "root", this source in
the shape of Detroit techno, and built up quite a detailed idea of
it in my head before I was able to hunt any down. I could go into
some detail about that, but won't bother - I'll cut a long story
short by saying that when I first got my hands on some proper Detroit
gear I found that it did fit in almost perfectly with these sounds
that had played in my head whenever I thought about "Detroit techno".
Of course, in the years to come I ended up realising just how narrow
my initial perception of Detroit techno actually was, and how broad
the genre is in terms of sound, rhythm and emotion, but generally
speaking I'd say that the various interviews and articles I'd read
did give me a partially accurate idea of the language of Detroit
techno.

These days, I never try to explain Detroit techno to anyone who
doesn't already know it. One of the reasons is that people are
generally more savvy about dance music terms now, even if they're
still not very savvy about what they actually *mean*, and as a
result a lot of people have preconceptions about Detroit techno
that I couldn't even begin to imagine. Some people see it as
relentlessly minimal, some people see it as a scene where quality
of music takes a back seat to rarity of music, while others see it
as a slightly "brainy" cousin of normal club trance/techno fodder.
These days I find that people already have an opinion on Detroit
techno (usually a very misguided one), while in the past people
had never even heard of it. So maybe it's more difficult, now, to
convey a notion of what Detroit techno is to someone without
actually playing them the music?

Brendan