>>>So maybe it's more difficult, now, to
convey a notion of what Detroit techno is to someone without
actually playing them the music?

I think this is true, so much so that I never even use the term 'Detroit
Techno', I just say 'Techno'. There's the classic Detroit sound, probably
summed up by Juan Atkins, but the range of stuff from the likes of UR,
Mills, Drexciya, Dopplereffekt, Carl Craig, etc. etc., is just too hard to
pin down!

{And yes, I'm one of those annoying people who walks into a shop and ask if
there's anything 'good' out. "Y'know, any good stuff..." ;-)}

For me, the special thing about 'Detroit' techno is that it *just so
happens* that a lot of the best techno has come out of that city, and even
if I did blind listens, I'd still end up filling my bag with Detroit stuff
because it has something other techno doesn't have. Must be something in the
water.

Detroit techno for me seems to _take_more_chances_, be more 'committed',
more balls, more funky, or harder, or softer, and that's without ruling out
other locations (Brendan mentioned Black Dog, easily among my top 5), and I
think to fully get the message of that across you need about 15 records, to
show the breadth of the sound.

Wonder what records they would be?

Cheers,

Andrew